Thursday, May 24, 2007

*Sigh* I Have Survived

Life is settling down, and it hasn't come a moment too soon. Most of the residents are gone, with the exception of the graduates who will be out of here by saturday afternoon. I actually got to sleep in this morning, then go to the mall with Laura and Lu. I got to play the snuggly aunt and tote her around to all the stores. I love carrying cute babies around; everyone gets jealous because they can't snuggle such an adorable little creature. Again, I felt the incredible power of making a child stop crying and fall asleep. It was amazing. I bought a very cute summer dress and tube top that actually fit! They were both on sale, and I got to use the $30 from book buyback that was burning a hole in my pocket. Book buyback is always used for end-of-the-year fun money. I work my buns off all semester long to earn the right to spend those few dollars on something entirely selfish and fun. No practical spending allowed! I figure I'm very good with finances, and almost always spend wisely, so I can afford to splurge a little at the end.

My boss from my summer job called yesterday to tell me my first day is on Tuesday at 10am. I get to sleep in on my first day of work! Nice! It's basically just to get a lot of paperwork finished, get fingerprinted, and get some last minute details together before training.

I need to clean my room today. This semester has been absolutely insane, and I don't think it's been clean but maybe a total of 2 weeks this entire time. I know I'll leave it until tomorrow, but I'm a step closer by just committing it to the to-do list.

I can't wait until next year! I'm taking Chemistry and Society, and that should be difficult but fun. I'm also taking some of the random elective I need to get out of here. I have worked very hard for my requirements, and now I have room to play. I'm taking Jewelry Making, Intro to Acting, and Ballet I. I have no experience with jewelry making or ballet, but I know they'll be fun. I'm most excited about the only spring semester class I've already decided on: Editing and Production. It's a class entirely comprised of editing writing and learning the absolutly newest grammar and punctuation rules. It's nerdy, but it's kinda my thaaaang. :o)

This semester was awful; personally, professionally, and scholastically, my life fell apart. I am proud of the way I've handled it with grace and a usually calm demeanor. Some would disagree, but I think that I kept my head quite well most times. I miss my dad, I still can't stand my supervisor, and my cumulative GPA fell faster than a man in a barrel over Niagra Falls; however, I have one more guardian angel, I have learned how to keep my mouth shut when I need to, and I still have a shot at graduating with honors. I have learned so much this semester. I have become so much stronger. I have grown up. When did that happen? I am coming into the point in my life when I almost always refer to myself as a "woman." I am now becoming very comfortable with being a woman. I'm comfortable with my wide hips, my bad hair days, my checkbook balancing skills, my handle on my credit score (which is very good!), and the various other things that come with being an adult female. It's a rather intimidating process, and I have many scarier things ahead, as I have learned through Laura's whole baby thing...that is just...nuts.

Ok, I've yammered on enough. I'm going to open up my window wide and sing some Joni Mitchell at the top of my lungs. No residents are here to tell me to shut up!

As always, thanks for reading, and don't forget to comment!

-The Suz

No comments: