Monday, December 17, 2007

Nervous / Merry Christmas!

In my last post, I ended with a to be continued of sorts. Sandy, Risha's mother (see archived post about Risha), called me out of the blue. She was washing dishes, and suddenly remembered that Risha used to put all of her friends' addresses and phone numbers in an old address book that was packed away in some boxes. Our phone number was in it. I am so thankful that she called. She sounds...well, she sounds like her child just died at an early age from a tragic cause. My datebook was filled to capacity, and i looked at Tuesday (tomorrow) and put a big X through everything. Some things are more important. Mom decided to go with me, so we'll be traveling to Indiana tomorrow. We'll stop by to see my Grandma Mangas, too. I just want Sandy to know that I will always be around for her when she needs me. Risha kind of pushed me away (Sandy told me she did that to all of her "decent" friends), but I see no reason to abandon her mom. I's nervous. We were raised the exact same way, and things could have very easily been the other way around. It could have been my mom who was washing dishes and wondering what went wrong. It could have been my mom who found my old address book and called Risha. Risha and her mom could have been driving to Dayton tomorow to show my mom they were still there for her after so many years. It could have gone the other way. It's just...sobering...pun certainly not intended.

I don't think I'll be posting for a while, so check back only if you're bored. I may decide to throw in a post here and there, but nothing regular. I'll be back in full swing after the New Year.

Please have a Christmas that is full of tacky, twinkly lights; carols sung loudly and off key; stomachs that are just past comfortably full; phone calls from old friends; cards from people you haven't spoken to in decades; carpets full of pine needles that just won't vacuum up; shopping trips that will make your credit card bill far too high, but the smiles of your closest friends and family members far bigger than you could have imagined; and, I do hope, church services that are so beautiful that they make your heartbeat quicken and remind you that Christmas is amazing not only because of everything I previously mentioned, but because we are lucky enough to have had a baby boy, whom we've never officially been introduced to, be born and give us all a much needed second chance.

Merry Christmas, friends and family. I love you.

P.S. Welcome to my newest reader, the amazing Miss Kristi! I hope you will be both informed and entertained!

No comments: