Monday, December 10, 2007

Big Girl Job in Boston?

I was checking my email, and I received an e-newsletter from CommonGoodCareers.org. I signed up with them when I went to the Idealist conference in Chicago (again, a BIG thank you to Doug for funding that trip. It was amazing!). They are a nonprofit career website, including career development, job listings, and interesting new information related to the field. One of the jobs recently posted was with Horizons for Homeless Children. It's an organization that provides services to homeless children and their families. They have preschools/daycare centers only for homeless kids, and they also have PlayPlaces, which give kids a safe place for them to play. Playing is so key to proper development, and I love what this organization does! They even help older homeless kids get through the college application process, which is terrifying and overwhelming for any kid. The position I applied for is the Events and Donor Relations Manager. I would be focusing only on fundraising events and donor cultivation, which are my 2 favorite parts of development. I had Laura and Andrew both spruce up my cover letter and resume, and I fixed them up a few more times, so they should be in pretty good shape. The frustrating thing about resumes is that they're never perfect. So I emailed those out to the contact person for the job, and I'll call on Wednesday to make sure she received it. I'm so nervous and excited! I've always been one to think 10 steps ahead, so it's hard not to get my hopes up. Wish me luck!


Suzanne M. Mangas,
Big Girl Job Getter.

No comments: