Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Hot New Children's Story

Rachael (a close SPEA friend) and I sat next to one another during our Nonprofit class today. We were gchatting (it's instant messaging via gmail, for those of you who aren't hip to the new forms of communication), and our very boring and inept professor said something about a sinkhole. We only listen to about 10% of what he says, but we generally pick up on the extra strange bits. I told her I'd like to watch a sinkhole swallow an old refrigerator. Somehow that comment turned into an entire conversation about sinkholes, and I decided I was going to write a series of children's books about a young boy named Leo who befriends a lonely sinkhole named Francesca. He brings her mint chocolate chip ice cream and veggie pizza, and she tells him of the exciting, magical world inside her tummy. By the end of the series, he decides to give up his boring seven-year-old life for an eternity of whimsy inside Francesca's stomach. Well, here's the kicker folks...she was tricking Leo all along, and just eats him.

The ending was Rachael's idea. She's more nuts than I am.

Perhaps we should pay attention in that class, but we have tried that--total waste of time, believe me. Sometimes grad school really is a "pay your fee, get your B" type of situation.

Oh well.

No comments: