Sunday, October 26, 2008

Salvar al Mundo

Translation (according to some translation website I Googled): saving the world.

The VITAL (Volunteers in Tutoring Adult Learners) program at the library needed an ESL (English as a Second Language, for those who don't know) teacher for a class of ten(ish) adults who are native Spanish speakers. Classes are for two hours every Monday, and it's only for six weeks to start with. I'm not sure what level the learners are, so I'm a bit in the dark. I'm quite nervous. I can walk into a classroom full of kids from all sorts of backgrounds, with all sorts of problems, and rock it. I have no idea how to teach adults. I've been through some training, but it's never enough without real experience. I hardly feel like a real adult myself. Let's not even begin to consider the fact that they've probably had a life that's a hundred times more difficult than mine. Crap. I better get it together before tomorrow evening. :o\

I just spent three hours making worksheets and planning activities for the first class.

ANNNNND I have a midterm on Tuesday and one on Wednesday. SHOOT MEEEEEEE.

I don't want you to think I'm complaining about it...well...I am complaining, but I really want to do it. School this semester is really getting me down, and being able to teach and help other people, I get my spirit back. It helps remind me why I'm working my ass off right now. It may take up a little extra time and energy, but it's what's keeping me going right now.

I scheduled my classes for next semester, and they seem SO exciting! I'm taking:
Public Organizations
Intergovernmental System Management
Public Management and Contracting
The Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector

After I finish with Stats and Econ, I can finally get into coursework I enjoy. The first semester at SPEA is kind of like basic training and hazing all mixed into one. It sucks, but everyone goes through it, and we're all going through it together. It's quite a bonding experience.

*sigh* I need to get to sleep early tonight. I'm listening to Disney tunes like a weirdo, and singing loud enough for people two floors up to hear (whatever--they should just enjoy the free concert). I will leave you with a little taste of my Disney concert.

I can show you world
Shining, shimmering, splendid.
Tell me, Princess, now when did you last let your heart decide.
I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways, and under on a magic carpet ride
A WHOLE NEW WOOOOOOOOORLD
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no
Or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming.
A WHOLE NEW WOOOOOOOOORLD
A dazzling place I never knew
But when I'm WAAAY up here,
It's crystal clear
That now I'm in a whole new world with youuuuuuuu.

Hope you enjoyed that as much as the person in Apt. 3C did. HAHA!

Goodnight!

Suzeriffic.

No comments: