Thursday, October 23, 2008

Culinary Mastermind/Domestic Goddess in Training

My life is filled with strong, beautiful domestic goddesses. Between my grandmothers, my mother, and Laura, I have a lot of people to seek advice and wisdom from, and a lot to live up to! Women, be proud: I made my first crock pot meal. Yes, it's a bit "Honey, I'm home," Mrs. Cleaver, whitewash the fence, but I am very proud of myself.

In case you'd like to know my not-so-secret, but oh-so-yummy chili recipe, here it is:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 can white corn*
1 can black beans*
1 can chili beans*
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes* (I love tomatoes. Feel free to use 1 can)
*pour all the juices in the crock pot

hot sauce
cilantro (add a few minutes before serving)
cayenne pepper
pepper
Old Bay (This is the spice that gives the chili a unique and freaking delicious flavor)

Regarding the spices, add however much you like. I have an iron tongue and LIVE for cayenne pepper, and I just cook for myself, so i use a few tablespoons of it.

I created this throw together recipe because this was all I had in my poor grad student pantry. I encourage you to add all sorts of things. If it's gross, you're out 56cents (I get my Koger canned veggies on sale!), and you've eliminated one more ingredient from you PERFECT chili recipe. Why stick with what your great grandmother/grandmother/mother made? Learn from their wisdom, be bold, and create your own culinary adventure! OH! It's like the Choose Your Own Adventure book othe kitchen. Oh, I feel a new recipe book concept forming... :o)

I'm in a much better mood than last post, by the way. I took my Econ quiz (ehh...we'll see how that went), and I'm going to pretend I don't have a Public Management midterm on Tuesday and a Stats midterm on Wednesday until AFTER I hang out at Yogi's the Speons tonight. I think that after a few minipitchers of Killian's, I will feel much better about spending my weekend canoodling with my textbooks.

Well, I'm wrapping up. I am quite skuzzy, and a shower is next on the agenda.

Miss and love you all!

Suz

No comments: