Wednesday, March 9, 2011

These Forty Days

Hello, readers!

Ok, I've promised to blog consistently, well, since I've had a blog. I have also failed every single time.

While considering how miserable I'd be giving up meat for Lent, rationalizing just giving up land animals, blah blah blah, I realized that sacrificing is lame. I generally have an ulterior motive of something very selfish (e.g. weight loss). Was Jesus selfish? Nah, he was nailed to a giant piece of freakin' wood so I wouldn't spend forever in a fiery world playing poker with Hitler. So why should I make my Lent all about me?

Conclusion: For every day of Lent, I will document one beautiful thing in the world that makes me happy. I'm going to try to add a picture for each one, too. That part will begin tomorrow.

DRRRRRUMROLLLLL

Today, March 9, 2011, Ash Wednesday:

ashes on strangers' foreheads
I love to see ashes on other people's foreheads. It's wonderful to share a knowing smile that we love the same God, share the same traditions of celebrating our faith, and enjoy the same sideways looks from non-Catholics that always say, "um, there's some stuff on your face."

Happy Lent, folks!

1 comment:

Ann said...

I like this idea Suz, and I like you!