Saturday, January 16, 2010

late night post

I thought I'd post a nice blog after a wonderful night with friends. It was Kathy's birthday, and we had a fabulous fiesta with fajitas and all the fixin's (except guacamole, which is a sore subject--I will never buy organic avacados again). On to the real post:

I have thought a lot about marriage lately (please be prepared for a very honest post). The only successful marriage i know well is the Cookes. I spent a week with them last week. They VERY graciously flew me down for a week, and I had the time of me life. I was pleased to see they were still the happy, goofy-in-love couple I remembered, but it made me a little sad. I am a bitter, jaded, anti-marriage woman at 23 years old. I'm sure many of you would laugh and say this is a phase, but I'm convinced it's very justified. The only really positive example of what a loving, happy, FUNCTIONAL relationship I have is the Cookes. I don't mean to put them on the spot, and I certainly don't mean to discount anyone else's relationship, but when I think of the marriage I want, Laura and Andrew come to mind. They're SO different. I'm SO much like Laura. They give me the slightest amount of hope that I won't be the crazy cat lady with 12 adopted children. If you're a reader I don't know about (or one I do) that has a happy marriage, please tell me your tips. I can't even commit to trying a new brand of whole wheat pasta (I'm loyal to Ronzoni), let alone commit to dating someone for more than two weeks.

Dear readers, if you're in a less-than-happy marriage, I'm praying for you; however, if you're in a marriage that makes you thank God every day, please let me know. I'm in need of some positive stories right now. "Mr. Right" is a silly idea to me, so some practical advice/words or encouragement are needed more than fairy tale promises.

1 comment:

Kathy Smallwood said...

After August 14th, I will definitely keep you posted on anything I learn about sustaining a healthy marriage.

I won't pretend that I'm not scared...I'm not always sure I will be a very good wife, to be honest. So, yeah, I'm a scared. But thinking of my life without him makes we want to immediately burst into tears. I'm scared, but he's worth overcoming my fears and shortcomings. He's worth growing for and fighting for. So, I am going to face my fear.


At the end of the day, Mike brings out good things in me. I like who I am when I am with him. I'm not self conscious. I'm not scared of embarrassing myself for the most part. He laughs at me, sure. But when it comes down to it, he loves me no matter what. You have to find THAT. You have to love who YOU are when you are with someone. If they don't bring out the YOU that you want to be for the rest of your life...tell them you aren't interested. (And don't just dodge their phone calls...hahaha).

I LOVE YOU! Thanks for making my birthday such a wonderful time of fun and celebration!