Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Crocodile, er...Job Hunter

Crikey!

Resumes, cover letters and writing samples, oh my! I am applying my little (at least considerably smaller, thanks to the gym) tushy off. I am exhausted! I spend my evenings searching through the internet jungle of job postings. I thought this would be easier. When I found my internship, I opened the yellow pages, found a place I wanted to work, called them up, and POOF! I had an internship (which was pretty amazing, I must say). When an organization is going to pay me for my services, they aren't quite as enthusiastic. If everyone wants at least 3-5 years of experience, what are recent grads supposed to do? Does Best Buy count as nonprofit development experience? Psh. At this point, I might have to suck it up and work there for a while after graduation. I only get a 6-month grace period on these student loans. I think it's silly that the only places willing to hire recent graduates are the predatory employers who are looking to farm out bitchwork. They don't want intelligent, educated, qualified people to make a difference, they want bodies to hand out flyers or shove petitions in people's faces on the street corners - NOT for me, thanks. I'm not putting bitchwork down. I understand that I will certainly do my fair share of copying and coffee-fetching for the first year or so. But I also expect to do important work and build my knowledge and experience. The worst job ad for "adventurous recent graduates!!!!" that I saw was for a fellowship promoting social justice in India. I almost applied, until I decided to look at their website. It didn't exist. I'm sure it was some awful ploys to get young, naive college girls to fly out to India, preparing to save the world, only to be shoved into a crate upon arrival and farmed out as sex slaves to Russian businessmen. It's scary to think how many people didn't look at the website first. I, for one, will not be trafficked, thank you very much. Plus, I hate Indian food.

On another note, my roomies are home, and it's a nice change from the silence. We had a bajillion people over last night and they all got trashed and we played poker. I drank my Horizon organic milk, for your information. I'm not drinking until I have enough money to buy it for myself. I've been mooching beer from too many people for too long now. Until I have a sufficient bank account again (10 cents, what?! haha), I will be sticking to good ol' H2O.

Classes start tomorrow, and I am not happy. I thought I would be, after being in school for the past 17 years, but I am certainly not. I LOVE school. It comes very easily to me, and I love that I can learn so many new and exciting things every single day. I love SGA and the other activities I'm involved in. I love being able to stop by a former professor's office just to sit and chat for a few minutes. I love spotting Freshmen (around campus, they constantly scan the area for anyone they know and walk too fast - at parties, they're sloppy-drunk with shirts that show everything God gave them. Freshman spotting really is a sport.). I love circling all the mistakes in the school paper with the other senators and talking about it loudly enough that they can hear me in school paper office across the hall. I love being able to go to class in my pajamas at noon. I love sitting around at 3am on a Tuesday, laughing hysterically with friends, knowing I have a 9:00am class that will be hell to walk through the 2 feet of snow to. I love sitting in the SGA office, laughing way too loud and having way-too-heated discussions about pretty much anything. I just...love this place. I hope I'm ready to leave in the next 3 1/2 months. :o[


Until next time, loyal readers,


Suzalicious

No comments: