Saturday, August 23, 2008

Grad School...So Far

I LOVE grad school. Ok, I haven't actually started classes yet, but the socializing part is fantastic. :o) I was forced into math camp, this awful 5-day refresher course on everything I never wanted to know about math. Math camp helped a little, but I am certainly not where I should be after 17 years of schooling--I thought an asymptote was a new type of handbag. I have made several friends, including one pretty good one named Rachael. She Facebooked me in the spring because we were both going to SPEA, and we had been talking ever since. It turns out that she lives half a block away from me! We walk to school together every morning, which is very first grade. I love it. I have met a couple of 2nd year students, and they are full of essential knowledge and great advice. The professor I am a GA for, Dr. Gronbjerg, is the name in nonprofit research in the world. I plan to work my ass off for her. I believe in her project (making a searchable, comprehensive database of Indiana nonprofits, their growth, progress, and needs), and a reference from her pretty much makes my resume dipped in gold.

On another note, I also LOVE my apartment. It's not too big to feel empty and lonely, but it's not too small that I feel cramped. It's a little...um...well, it's a good starter apartment. The maintenance guy is very nice, and he comes within a couple of hours of an online request. After a full week of math camp, napping, and consuming a bottle of wine nearly every night (Rachael and I are winos), my apartment has thrown up on itself. I have shoes in the living room, dirty dishes in the sink, and I haven't made my bed in four days. I will be cleaning today.

If anyone would like to donate to the "Suz can barely afford rent until her refund check comes through in three weeks" fund, it would be greatly appreciated. Honestly, I can pay bills, but I really want to experience B-town these first couple of weeks. I'm hoping to wear low-cut shirts and smile at some young undergrads so they will buy me drinks. It may sound mildly trashy, but c'mon...I'm being financially responsible, utilizing my strengths, and honing a skill which will only be available to me for the next 5 years or so. ;o)

Ok, I'm going to pop in a movie and get scrubbing on this place...it's driving me NUTS!


Love you all, and don't forget to call or write!

Suz

No comments: